Monday 28 March 2011

Day One: 28th March. Wildcard – Embellish the story. 2KCBWDAY1


Honestly? I feel a bit of a fraud taking part in this. I'm certainly not a knitter, and I'm barely a crocheter! Something about it appealed tho, as I do love this new found skill of crochet, especially in these days where paintbrushes are too heavy...

Today's topic is supposed to be about your favourite and your least favourite yarn... Well, here's the thing. I can't afford wool. At all. So all the wool I use comes from my parent's loft. My Mum has been a knitter for ever, and has boxes upon boxes of wool, which I am taking delight in slowly using up ;) A favourite or least favourite?! Well, I could give you colours... And ply... But beyond that it would be tough, because most doesn't exactly have labels anymore...!


So instead I'm going to dive straight in with the wild card - embellishments. Now that's something I relish!

When I was in my mid teens, I had the nickname Button Girl. Heck, if you browse my deviantArt scraps carefully enough you will even find her superhero self gracing a comic... How did I acquire this name? Because of my love of buttons. I don't really even know how it started, but me and all my friends - even my 2 best guy friends - wore bracelets of buttons made by me! I realised just how many uses buttons have - whether it is merely embellishing something, or as a closure; or whether it is making whole items or pieces of art from just buttons!

Back then I emptied all the colourful buttons from both my Mum's and her Mum's tins of buttons. And then the other year I also inherited my Nan's barrel of buttons too! That's not even going near the buttons I bought off eBay, and the ones I picked up in Singapore! I have an epic stash, yet still not always the style I need ;)

Considering this is supposed to be about crochet, here we have my classic use of buttons - for flower centres:


Crochet Flower by ~bicyclegasoline on deviantART

This is probably one of my favourite uses of buttons, a little bouquet which helps brighten the house up!


Button Flowers by ~bicyclegasoline on deviantART

And my stash?
And, for once, I might actually be blogging again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...