Monday 15 September 2014

Felt Needle Case


When I saw this tutorial over at Sum of their Stories I couldn't resist giving it a try as a little gift for a friend.

There is a pattern with the tutorial, but it didn't quite fit my need for precision accuracy, so I drew my own. I used a 7cm square, and added half ovals to each edge to make the basic shape, and created a rectangle for the needle holder centre like the one in the tutorial.

I also added the rectangle and the button attachments before blanket stitching it all together, so that all the excess stitching would be hidden.


I really like how clean the finish is, and I love the grey against the bright turquoise. I'm a bit obsessed with grey atm! I think the only thing I might change next time is the button loop - it is 6 strands of embroidery floss, and I am concerned that over time they will split and become tangled. Having pre twisted or plaited them may have been better... But it came together quickly and affordably, and I love the finished product.

5 comments:

  1. It's so lovely! You made me laugh about the precision accuracy - I am much more of a "close enough" and "let's wing it" kind of girl which you could probably tell! You have done such a fabulous job, good work with hiding all the mess inside too, great idea. I feel ridiculously proud that I can see something so lovely that someone has made inspired by something I made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sometime just wing things, but sometimes my need for perfectionism overcomes me! :)
      Helen x

      Delete
  2. Hi there
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my Saturday Spotlight post this week!
    Saturday Spotlight
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is very lucky, Helen. A fabulous needle case.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of leaving a comment? Please do, I love reading what people have to say :) I will always try and reply to your comment here, so do click "Subscribe by email" below the comment form to be notified!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...